Friday, June 19, 2009

Fixing Again


One of the things that I (Doug) do around the farm is fix things. This week I noticed a bad spot on one of the tires on our Asparagus trailer, also upon closer inspection I noticed that the wires for the brakes were in bad shape and would require some maintenance. On Tuesday I took the trailer to town for 4 brand new tires. Of course they didn't have the right size but a larger size was available for less money so the decision was easy.
After getting the new tires on I came home, and removed the wheels and proceeded to fix the brake wires and repack the wheel bearing. But once again, upon closer inspection I find that the suspension was worn quite badly. This seemed unusual especially since this trailer is not that old. So off to Red Deer for new Pins, bushings, links, U bolts, and new springs (stronger ones this time). Also if we are fixing it we might as well put in new wheel bearings, and seals, requiring another stop at the bearing supply store. I worked on this project on and off Wednesday between other jobs. Randy and I finally finished it that night even though we had to quit at about 9:30 pm to go put a pen of cows back in because a strong wind blew a tree over the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment